The dress and grooming of Oakland Avenue Charter School students shall contribute to the health and safety of each individual, promote a positive educational environment, and not disrupt the educational activities and/or processes of the school. These minimum standards of dress and grooming apply to all students unless a specific exemption is granted by the Principal and/or
OAKLAND CHARTER SCHOOL REQUIRES STUDENTS TO WEAR THE APPROPRIATE SCHOOL UNIFORM:
• Solid Red, White, or Navy polo type shirt with cap sleeve. No logos exceeding 2” x 2” permitted other than OACS logo.
• Solid Beige or Navy uniform style skorts, shorts, pants or skirts with shorts worn underneath.
• Tennis shoes must be worn every day. No other shoes are permitted.
• Students may wear solid navy blue, white, or red socks no longer than mid calf.
In addition, please note the guidelines below:
• Platform shoes (including athletic shoes with platforms) are not permitted. No ‘heelies’, crocs, or sandals. Boots and/or any shoes above the ankle are not permitted.
• No open-toe or backless shoes are permitted.
• Socks MUST be worn at all times and cannot have patterns nor exceed mid calf in length.
• In rainy weather, galoshes may be worn over shoes, but must be removed once on campus.
• Shirts should be tucked in but can remain un-tucked if it does not extend past the inseam of bottoms.
• Belts must be worn with uniform shorts or pants (2nd thru 5th grade) when bottoms have belt loops.
• No jumpers/dresses.
• No dangling earrings.
• Headbands must be traditional in style. Novelty ears, large bows, large flowers or those that wrap around forehead are not permitted.
• Hair must be a natural hair color, including temporary hair color or spray on hair dye.
Students not in compliance with the uniform policy will be referred to administration for parent contact and/or application of consequences.
COLD WEATHER CLOTHING REQUIREMENTS:
In cold weather students may wear whatever outerwear they wish to school; however, they must wear only permitted clothing in the classroom. Permitted cold weather clothing:
• PLAIN solid Red, White, or Navy sweatshirt, sweater or zip-up sweatshirt jacket.
• Undershirts must be PLAIN solid Red, White, or Navy. Undershirts (long or short sleeves) can be worn under uniform shirts.
• Leggings or tights worn under shorts, skorts or skirts must be PLAIN solid Red, White, Navy or White.
NON-UNIFORM DAYS DRESS CODE:
On non-uniform days the following dress code will be enforced:
• Clothes shall be worn as they are designed - suspenders over the shoulders, pants secured at the waist, belts buckled, no underwear as outerwear, no underwear exposed, etc.
• Clothing with holes, tears or inappropriate patches will not be allowed.
• Bare midriffs and bare sides should not show even when arms are extended above the head.
• Clothing that is too tight or revealing is unacceptable.
• Heelies, Crocs, sandals, flip flops, cleats and/or backless shoes are not permitted at any time.
The following items have potential to cause disruption or threat to a safe and positive school
environment and are prohibited while on campus:
• Hats, caps, visors, sunglasses or bandanas.
• Chains hanging from the neck, belt, pocket or attached to wallet.
• Jewelry that contains any type of sharp object.
• Short hemlines on shorts and/or skorts (less than mid-thigh).
• Sleeves less than four fingers in width at the shoulders.